HISTORY OF BRISBANE CITY HALL. ( above photograph is an Qld. State Library, John Oxley Library Photograph).
The First election of the Municipal Council in Brisbane was held on 13 October, 1859 while Brisbane was still part of New South Wales. John Petrie was unanimously elected as the first Mayor.
The first town hall was constructed in 1867 on the site presently occupied by Lennons Plaza Hotel. The lack of a central hall for public gatherings in that building led in the construction of the present City Hall.
A foundation stone was laid in 1917 at the Ann Street Corner by the Governor Sir Hamilton Goold Adams. However, it was not until 1919 that the architects, Hall and Prentice were commissioned to plan the building. A second key stone was laid on the Adelaide Street Corner on 29 July, 1920 by H.R.H. The Prince of Wales, later King Edward V111. The greater Brisbane City Council in 1925 and City Hall has remained the seat of that Council since the building was opened on 8 April, 1930.
The building was planned around an inspiring circular concert hall crowned with a copper dome. Administrative offices originally occupied the space between the circular concert hall and the rectangular perimeter. This area has been renovated and now houses function rooms, the central city library, the Brisbane Art Gallery and Museum, and displays for public information.
The façade overlooking King George Square is dominated by Corinthian columns. The entrance is capped by a pediment with a sculpture of earlier settlement by Daphne Maya. The City Hall tower rises 85 metres above street level and was the landmark of the city skyline for many years. The clock faces are each 4.5 metres in diameter.